Best Of Destinations

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Trendy Travel Spots

January 21, 2017

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Agra, India

Taj Mahal, Agra, India

The whole place has undergone a face-lift. An orientation center for the Taj Mahal is set to open this year. In addition, streets have been repaved, the area has been cleaned up, and a new railway from New Delhi has been constructed. Beyond just the Taj Mahal, Agra is also home to the Agra fort, constructed with red sandstone, several tombs that are the final resting places for Mughal emperors and empresses, a city of ruins, and several bazaars. Because of the recent renewal of the location, Agra deserves a spot in the 17 hottest destinations of 2017.

Great for: majestic architecture, lively local culture

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Gabon

Gabon

Gabon is vastly underrated. Part of it stems from its precarious position between Cameroon and the DRC, two nations struggling with unrest. However, Gabon has been lucky in avoiding the vast majority of political and security strife that has plagued its neighbors and in recent years, has grown into a mecca for ecotourism. Wildlife is abundant, and though it is still difficult to travel to the nation, the government has taken many steps to improving the the process for foreign visitors.

Great for: abundant wildlife, ecotourism

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Switzerland

Swiss foothills near the Jungfrau

You’ve heard me say it before, you’ll hear me say it again. Go to Switzerland! You will not regret it. There’s something there for everyone, be it exploring ancient castles on the shores of Lake Geneva, having fondue, hitting the slopes in Zermatt, or shopping high fashion in the streets of Zurich. If you want to be fully immersed in the experience, take the train to smaller towns and cities – you’ll find plenty of them in the foothills. Rolling green expanses dotted with cattle and storybook houses? Sounds like a dream come true.

Great for: skiing, picture perfect towns and villages, old architecture

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Marrakech, Morocco

A souk or market in Marrakech, Morocco

It’s not exactly a newcomer to the scene, but Marrakech has proven to be one of the 17 hottest destinations of 2017 because it has been time-tested. The city is heavily influenced by its Berber roots, and provides a veritable smorgasbord of sights, sounds, and smells. From exotic gardens to bustling marketplaces to palace ruins to imperial tombs, Marrakech is chock full of character and places of interest.

Great for: busy marketplaces, Berber culture

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Iran

Mosque in Tehran Iran

Iran tends to get a bad rap because of its past – revolution and war aren’t necessarily the best things for a country’s tourism industry. But visitors to Iran note the stark contrast between the country’s image and its actual personality. Iran has been modernizing for some time now, and the thawing of diplomatic relations has led to the establishment of more flight routes. Spread across the country are ski slopes, beaches, historical towns, and the like, but if that doesn’t convince you, consider going for the famed warmth and hospitality of the locals.

Great for: kind locals, historical heritage

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Nepal

Prayer Wheels in Nepal

Following the devastating 2015 earthquake and ensuing avalanche, this nation has been rebuilding. Thus, tourism to the region is at a low level, and the government is trying hard to pull visitors back and aid in rebuilding the tourism industry. The country may still be rough around the edges, but through the opening of new trails and tours, hopefully Nepal will be bouncing back in no time.

Great for: affordable travel, natural beauty, culture

Are you going to any of these destinations? Have we missed a trendy destination? Let us know what you think in the comments below!

22 Comments

• Reply Victoria Falls Guide • Live Wanderfully February 16, 2017 at 5:06 pm

[…] Related: 17 Must-See Destinations of 2017 […]

• Reply 5 Swiss Cities You Must Visit • Live Wanderfully February 18, 2017 at 8:23 am

[…] Trendy travel spots of 2017 […]

• Reply Mike Clegg February 28, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Lots of amazing places. Mostar is definitely a good one. I went there last year and loved it!

• Reply Chelsea April 1, 2017 at 10:46 pm

That definitely sounds great!

• Reply Only By Land April 1, 2017 at 2:49 am

This is a wonderful list, with some incredible images. My fabourite from your list is Chile, or the border of Chile and Argentina as you mentioned. I remember visiting Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina and Torres Del Paine in Chile, still to this day they are 2 of the most beautiful things I’ve seen in my life.

• Reply Chelsea April 1, 2017 at 10:47 pm

That must have been such an amazing trip!

• Reply Melbtravel April 1, 2017 at 8:46 am

I went to Mostar a couple of years ago and I loved it, the food and the people were both great. South Korean and Chile are definitely on my ever growing bucket list and your post, has made it even bigger now 🙂

• Reply Chelsea April 1, 2017 at 10:48 pm

If you’re into food, I’m sure South Korea will be amazing as well!

• Reply Rhiannon April 1, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Ooh some great places on this list ! French Polynesia and Madagascar would be absolute dream destinations for me, and I’m actually in the process of hunting down some cheap flights to Bosnia & Herzegovina !

• Reply Chelsea April 1, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Oooh, well I wish you good luck with that!

• Reply Jenn and Ed Coleman April 1, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Madagascar is so far up our list. Lemurs along with the crazy native plants and animals. Me me want to get movin movin. Great list.

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:35 am

Thank you! The wildlife in Madagascar is absolutely wild!

• Reply Vicki Louise April 2, 2017 at 11:20 am

Oh my word I want to go to ALL of them!
    I tried to squeeze Madagascar into my Africa trip last year, but the budget just wouldn’t allow for it after 6 weeks on the mainland. Flights out there are sooo expensive!
    But I will get there one day – I promise!

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:36 am

Haha, don’t we all! I can imagine how expensive the airfare must be – where else did you visit?

• Reply Ha Truong April 2, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I would love to visit all of them! So happy that Ho Chi Minh is on the list (I’m from Ho Chi Minh)! It’s so true that locals prefer the old name, Saigon 🙂 Will visit Norway soon this year!

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:36 am

Cool! Have fun on your trip!

• Reply Aryane @ Valises & Gourmandises April 2, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Great destinations! Been to a few myself And would love to go to many more 🙂
    Funny though that you mentioned places in Canada where basically no one goes (the territories and Newfoundland) haha! Montreal is always a hit though, being the only city of its kind in the Americas (French-speaking and pretty cosmopolitan).
    I would also replace Switzerland with Slovenia, which I found more interesting, just as beautiful and way more porte-monnaie friendly!

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:38 am

I’ve never thought about Slovenia – I guess it’s personal bias because I just adore Switzerland! And yeah, basically nobody visits outside of the big cities and maybe Banff, but I wish more people would because it’s just so gorgeous

• Reply Rebecca April 3, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I want to go everywhere on this list. I don’t now if it’s considered trendy but a lot more people are visiting Bhutan, which is much quieter than Nepal (although much more expensive).

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:39 am

I’ve heard about many people tending towards visiting Bhutan as well

• Reply Bhushavali April 4, 2017 at 4:11 am

Awesome list! Glad to see one of it is from my motherland, India! On top of my wishlist, in this list, is Mexico! I’ve been a fan since long of Mayan culture & architecture ever since I studied about it in my Uni days!

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:39 am

That sounds cool! I hope you get to go soon