Best Of Destinations

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Trendy Travel Spots

January 21, 2017

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017 - Live Wanderfully's Trendy Travel Spots

As I like to say, a new year always means new adventures. 2016 brought us from time-honored classic destinations, like Paris and Cinque Terre, to new, hip, and trendy ones, like Thailand and Rio. Now, in 2017, the sun has set on some destinations, but others are rapidly rising, because of their previously undiscovered status, affordable prices, culture, and natural beauty. Here are the 17 hottest destinations of 2017.

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Canada

Lake Louise, Banff National Park, Canada

I know what you’re thinking. What the heck? Is there anything in Canada besides igloos, polar bears, and maple syrup? Well… maybe. But in all seriousness, Canada is a veritable smorgasbord of terrain, from the rugged snow-capped peaks of the Rocky Mountains to the frozen tundra of the territories to the stunning cliffs and rock formations in Newfoundland. From coast to coast to coast, there’s a ton of ecological diversity. And to celebrate the country’s 150th anniversary, Parks Canada is handing out free national parks passes, valid for the whole year! If being out in nature isn’t your thing, don’t fret. Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal present three thriving cosmopolitan alternatives with museums, galleries, historical architecture, and foodie scenes.

Great for: 150th anniversary celebrations, natural landscapes, cosmopolitan cities

Related: Are you planning to go camping in Canada? Check out these tent reviews

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Mexico

Chichen Itza in Mexico

When one thinks of Mexico, usually, one thinks of some shady stuff. However, this reputation is completely unwarranted given the vast array of other characteristics that set Mexico apart. From Aztec ruins to authentic Mexican architecture, from luxury living to beautiful beaches, there’s more to Mexico than meets the eye (or ear)!

Great for: luxurious resort vacations, Aztec ruins, colonial architecture

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Norway

Norway

Speaking of places where people can freeze their butts off… Norway happens to be another one of the 17 hottest destinations of 2017. Fjords, small towns, sauna culture, and rustic landscapes all contribute to its charm, but one of its greatest draws, as with any country in the Arctic Circle, is the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights, which light up the sky with beautiful colors at night. Adventure sport enthusiasts, artists and photographers, and hipsters all flock to this country. Though it’s not cheap, per se, a visit to Norway will be well worth your time and money.

Great for: fjords, northern lights, being a hipster

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon Opera

Many locals still refer to it as Saigon, a name that evokes the three thousand-year heritage of the city. Within, colonial European structures intermingle with modern skyscrapers and monuments paying tribute to the Vietnam War. It’s a good idea to visit these structures and get a good history lesson in – while getting away from the seemingly ubiquitous Western viewpoint. However, in addition to these grand buildings, the city also plays host to various markets. The Mekong River is worth exploring as well, and make sure to check out the diverse religious heritage of this city by visiting its temples, mosques, and other places of worship.

Great for: Vietnam War and colonial history, street and market culture

17 Hottest Destinations of 2017: Bosnia and Herzegovina

Mostar Old Bridge, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Move over Croatia, move over Serbia! It’s time for Bosnia and Herzegovina to shine in this list of 17 hottest destinations of 2017. After general unrest following the dissolution of Yugoslavia in the 90s and the subsequent ethnic tensions, the entire region fell into disarray. However, these countries have reemerged in recent years as both peaceful and beautiful places to visit, still bearing the scars of war. Mostar and Sarajevo are two particularly popular cities where the influence of both the Ottoman and Holy Roman Empires are seen. Check out Stari Most bridge in Mostar, Sarajevo tunnel, constructed during the siege in the 90s, and the beautiful emerald waters of Kravica waterfall.

Great for: Yugoslavian history, natural beauty, multi-ethnic influences

22 Comments

• Reply Victoria Falls Guide • Live Wanderfully February 16, 2017 at 5:06 pm

[…] Related: 17 Must-See Destinations of 2017 […]

• Reply 5 Swiss Cities You Must Visit • Live Wanderfully February 18, 2017 at 8:23 am

[…] Trendy travel spots of 2017 […]

• Reply Mike Clegg February 28, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Lots of amazing places. Mostar is definitely a good one. I went there last year and loved it!

• Reply Chelsea April 1, 2017 at 10:46 pm

That definitely sounds great!

• Reply Only By Land April 1, 2017 at 2:49 am

This is a wonderful list, with some incredible images. My fabourite from your list is Chile, or the border of Chile and Argentina as you mentioned. I remember visiting Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina and Torres Del Paine in Chile, still to this day they are 2 of the most beautiful things I’ve seen in my life.

• Reply Chelsea April 1, 2017 at 10:47 pm

That must have been such an amazing trip!

• Reply Melbtravel April 1, 2017 at 8:46 am

I went to Mostar a couple of years ago and I loved it, the food and the people were both great. South Korean and Chile are definitely on my ever growing bucket list and your post, has made it even bigger now 🙂

• Reply Chelsea April 1, 2017 at 10:48 pm

If you’re into food, I’m sure South Korea will be amazing as well!

• Reply Rhiannon April 1, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Ooh some great places on this list ! French Polynesia and Madagascar would be absolute dream destinations for me, and I’m actually in the process of hunting down some cheap flights to Bosnia & Herzegovina !

• Reply Chelsea April 1, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Oooh, well I wish you good luck with that!

• Reply Jenn and Ed Coleman April 1, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Madagascar is so far up our list. Lemurs along with the crazy native plants and animals. Me me want to get movin movin. Great list.

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:35 am

Thank you! The wildlife in Madagascar is absolutely wild!

• Reply Vicki Louise April 2, 2017 at 11:20 am

Oh my word I want to go to ALL of them!
    I tried to squeeze Madagascar into my Africa trip last year, but the budget just wouldn’t allow for it after 6 weeks on the mainland. Flights out there are sooo expensive!
    But I will get there one day – I promise!

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:36 am

Haha, don’t we all! I can imagine how expensive the airfare must be – where else did you visit?

• Reply Ha Truong April 2, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I would love to visit all of them! So happy that Ho Chi Minh is on the list (I’m from Ho Chi Minh)! It’s so true that locals prefer the old name, Saigon 🙂 Will visit Norway soon this year!

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:36 am

Cool! Have fun on your trip!

• Reply Aryane @ Valises & Gourmandises April 2, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Great destinations! Been to a few myself And would love to go to many more 🙂
    Funny though that you mentioned places in Canada where basically no one goes (the territories and Newfoundland) haha! Montreal is always a hit though, being the only city of its kind in the Americas (French-speaking and pretty cosmopolitan).
    I would also replace Switzerland with Slovenia, which I found more interesting, just as beautiful and way more porte-monnaie friendly!

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:38 am

I’ve never thought about Slovenia – I guess it’s personal bias because I just adore Switzerland! And yeah, basically nobody visits outside of the big cities and maybe Banff, but I wish more people would because it’s just so gorgeous

• Reply Rebecca April 3, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I want to go everywhere on this list. I don’t now if it’s considered trendy but a lot more people are visiting Bhutan, which is much quieter than Nepal (although much more expensive).

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:39 am

I’ve heard about many people tending towards visiting Bhutan as well

• Reply Bhushavali April 4, 2017 at 4:11 am

Awesome list! Glad to see one of it is from my motherland, India! On top of my wishlist, in this list, is Mexico! I’ve been a fan since long of Mayan culture & architecture ever since I studied about it in my Uni days!

• Reply Chelsea April 27, 2017 at 8:39 am

That sounds cool! I hope you get to go soon